Thursday 6 August 2009

Connections with random people




This blog post is inspired by Dan on the plinth early this morning. I’ve never thought of blogging or writing in general before and have no idea why I am doing it now! But even if it is just an output for my random ramblings that no one reads, that is enough for me!

So onto my thought for the day. (all very Sir Terry)

Dan is only one of many random strangers I have made a connections with in the last few months. In fact I have made more random connections in the last few months than I have in the last few years!


Most of these connections are through the One and Other project. From the wonderful Helen who helped bring minibeast girl to the plinth to the amusing and often surreal twecklers on twitter via the woman in Sainsbury's who nearly wet herself with excitement when I told her why I was buying a CD player.


Past plinthers and plinth fans will be meeting in Trafalgar Square on the last day of the project. I was originally not going to go because I couldn't really afford the flights over. Then suggestions of starting up a fund for people who live a distance away came in along with offers of a bed for a night. And how could I not go after that! (plus ryanair were doing a fab offer!) *post script - Ryanair are scum. Never fly with them ever. I ended up not being able to use the 'fab offer' in the end. Well I could have done, but it would have cost me an additional £70. Over twice what it cost in the first place.


I am so excited about coming over and meeting all these people I have a connection with. In person... Which reminds me, did my mother not once warn me about funny men on the internet...


One of my more bizarre connections is with a fellow smart car driver. Yes some smart car drivers are sad enough to wave to each other, and I am definitely one of those people! I pass the same person nearly everyday and always wave hello. It always puts a smile on my face on the way into work even though I have never met him, and quite frankly probably never will.


Now here is the rub, I find myself at the cusp of doing the unthinkable, selling my beloved minibeast (I know, it would be like the Steve Jobs using a Blackberry, but needs must...). Now if I do, i will have no reason to wave hello, but my life will be a little bit less sunny each morning. So should I keep waving even though we have nothing connecting us other than driving the opposite way to work each day?


Which brings me back to my plinth family (or plinthily if you like). I will miss the project of course, but probably more I would miss those connections I have made with people from all over the world.

Can these connections survive car sales and projects ending? It would be a darn pity if they didn’t!


:)